I am a professor in the political science department at the Université de Montréal. I am current interim chair of the department.
I completed a Ph.D. in comparative and Canadian public policy at McMaster University in 1999. My current research centres on the behavior of policy actors (interest groups, civil servants, public opinion …) and on the politics of scientific expertise in Europe and North America. My publications cover several subject areas, including contaminated soil, biotechnology, energy, climate change and public health. I receive research funding from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), Génome Québec and Genome Canada.
In 2006, my book, Misplaced Distrust, won the American Political Science Association’s Lynton Keith Caldwell Prize for the best book on environmental politics and policy.
“Politics, and especially the interest-group struggle, gets a bad rap. In this spirited defense of democratic, pluralist politics, Éric Montpetit compares the practice of politics with what the media says about that process in biotechnology policy. He finds serious distortions in media depictions that, he argues, need redressing. Montpetit’s defense is straightforward, solidly empirical, and his case is well-made. The book is a must-read for policy scholars, students in public policy courses, journalists covering politics, and policy activists. It is a needed bromide for today’s overly cynical view of the democratic political process.”
Bryan D. Jones, University of Texas, Austin.
Eric Montpetit on his latest book 'In Defense of Pluralism'
- “New Environmental Technology Uptake and Bias toward the Status Quo” (with Erick Lachapelle), Environmental Technology & Innovation Vol. 7 2017.
- “Has Simeon’s Vision Prevailed among Canadian Policy Scholars?” (with Christine Rothmayr and Isabelle Engeli), Canadian Journal of Political Science Vol. 49 2016.
- Interview with Jean-Frédéric Légaré-Tremblay, Le Devoir and Planète Terre, November 2nd, 2016.
- Le coûteux calcul politique de nos élus, La Presse, 31 août 2016.
- In Defense of Pluralism: Policy Disagreement and Its Media Coverage, March 2016, Cambridge University Press.
- “Information, Values and Expert Decison-Making: the Case of Soil Decontamination” (with Erick Lachapelle), Policy Sciences Vol.49 2016.