I am a professor in the political science department at the Université de Montréal and vice-dean – professorial life – at the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
I completed a Ph.D. in comparative and Canadian public policy at McMaster University in 1999. My current research centres on the behavior of policy actors (interest groups, civil servants, public opinion …) and on the politics of scientific expertise in Europe and North America. My publications cover several subject areas, including contaminated soil, biotechnology, energy, climate change and public health. I currently receive research funding from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC).
In 2006, my book, Misplaced Distrust, won the American Political Science Association’s Lynton Keith Caldwell Prize for the best book on environmental politics and policy. My latest book, In Defense of Pluralism, was published in 2016 by Cambridge University Press.
- “Les scientifiques et les politiques publiques” dans Experts, sciences et sociétés, dirs. François Claveau et Julien Prud’homme, PUM 2018.
- “La vague médiatique contre le gaz de schiste” (with Alexandre Harvey), Policy Options/Options politiques, October 19, 2017.
- “Does Canadian Federalism Amplify Policy Disagreements?” (with Erick Lachapelle and Simon Kiss), IRPP Study 65, Institute for Research on Public Policy, September 2017.
- “The Role of Scientific Excellence in the Changing Meaning of Maize in Mexico” (with Libertad Castro Colina), Review of Policy Research, early view 2017.
- “Entre guillemets” interviews Éric Montpetit. May 26th 2017.
- “Comment se portent les six tâches du premier ministre?” (with Patrick Leblond, André Lecours, Gregory P. Marchildon, Martin Papillon et Jennifer Wallner, La Presse + 15 mai 2017.
- “Policy Learning, Motivated Scepticism, and the Politics of Shale Gas Development in British Columbia and Quebec” (with Erick Lachapelle), Policy and Society 2017.
- “New Environmental Technology Uptake and Bias toward the Status Quo” (with Erick Lachapelle), Environmental Technology & Innovation, Vol. 7 2017.